Preview YouTube video How a Bill Becomes a Law: Crash Course Government and Politics #9
How a Bill Becomes a Law: Crash Course Government and Politics #9
Golie Jansen asked that I post this email from a member of the Individible group:
I was able to attend a workshop last night hosted by the Peace and Justice Action League of Spokane on the Role of the Peacekeeper at marches, rallies and other types of gatherings where community members are exercising their First Amendment Rights of Free Speech. We have several potentially large events that will be held in our community this weekend and early next week and the following from PJALS’ website should be helpful to all of us now and in the coming years as we continue to be part of the Resistance:__________________________
In the traditions of Mahatma Gandhi, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, Dolores Huerta, Cesar Chavez, Dorothy Day, Utah Philips, and millions of people all over the world, our work for justice and peace is founded in principles and practice of active nonviolence.
Our nonviolence guidelines are just one example of our practice of active nonviolence.
As a participant in a PJALS action, I agree to abide by and reflect upon these commitments:
1. At all times, we will use our anger at injustice as a positive nonviolent force for change. Our attitude will be one of nonviolence, openness, friendliness, and respect toward all we encounter. We will convey this through words, symbols, and actions.
2. We will refuse to return the assaults—verbal or physical—of those who oppose or disagree with us. We will protect those who oppose us from insults and attack.
3. As participants in a nonviolent event, we will follow the directions of the designated coordinators. In the event of a serious disagreement, we will remove ourselves from the gathering.
4. We will refrain from insults and swearing. We will use no violence, verbal or physical, toward any person. We will not carry anything that could be construed as a weapon.
5. We will not run or use threatening motions. We will not damage any property. We will not bring or use alcohol or illegal drugs.
I recently watched the movie, “I am not Your Negro”, a documentary based upon 30 pages of notes for a proposed novel that James Baldwin sent to his publisher about the lives of Medgar Evers, Martin Luther King and Malcom X. I do not recall a more powerful movie. James Baldwin directly asks, “Why do you need a nigger?” and suggests that white people live in a fantasy and maintain a standard of living that requires others to be subservient. And when they refuse to be subservient or stand up for themselves in any manner, they are faced with a rage and fear by white men that results in violence and death. He is surprised that African Americans have not been eliminated by genocide in the face of this fear by a morally bankrupt majority.
For me, it was like having a mirror held in front of me. It demanded that I not only take action, but that I enter into relationship with those that are in a more vulnerable place in our world. Not so that I can help them but so that I can face myself more clearly as a privileged white male and begin to take the steps to address the injustice necessary to support my standard of living.
If you have seen this movie, I invite your comments/reactions. If you have not I challenge you to do so.
Spokane Indivisible will be holding its first Monthly Advocacy Action
Workshop! We have secured a small venue with a capacity of 45, so
PLEASE let us know asap if you are interested in attending by
responding to this email. We are giving our email folks first notice
and will post to our FB pages on Thursday.
Sunday, Feb 26th, 2017
Unitarian Universalist Church, 4340 W Fort George Wright Dr.
6:00p – 8:00p
Speaker: Dr. Richard Martin
Topic: The Personal Protection and Affordable Care Act
We will also provide an overview of the Indivisible Guide and how our
group started. And we will, of course, have time for sharing
thoughts, frustrations, and GREAT ideas!!!
If you are interested in attending please respond to Golie by emailing her at: email@example.com
A town hall meeting has been arranged by FUSE on February 28th. Please Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1836273249962090/?active_tab=about
Lee from FUSE writes: The room holds 1400 people and we want to fill it up. Whether or not CMR plans to attend, we plan to have testimonials from people and if she isn’t there, we will deliver the testimonials to her. We are collaborating with every group we can find.
I hope your group can attend! And pass the word to any other groups you know.
Congresswoman McMorris Rodger’s refusal to meet with constituents is getting traction. Read Shawn Vestal’s article below:
Michaele asked for this to be posted:
I just sent postcards to our state representatives in Washington DC urging them to demand a thorough investigation into ties between Russia and the Trump campaign and administration. This is a serous threat to our democracy and national security. I invite group members to join me in making calls and sending letters/postcards about this issue.
Golie Jansen asked that this be posted from the local Indivisible Group:This morning I was listening to Tom Ashbrook and On Point (one of my favorite shows) talking with a former US ambassador to Russia, and one of the more chilling things said was that loss of democracy happens in small incremental ways. So we must be ever vigilant and continue to be active in the Resistance – even as we experience resistance fatigue – in whatever ways we can. Calls and Faxes (every day). Neighborhood Huddles (one noted below). Postcard Parties. Marches. Rallies (Planned Parenthood Saturday; World Relief Sunday). Visits to MoCs offices (FUSE and PJALS next Monday). Signs in your windows. Letters to the editor. Financial support. Attending workshops. Be informed! Act on you passion. Share with your friends and family and neighbors! The resistance continues to grow. We CANNOT afford to be silenced.And now stepping off the soapbox…..Some additional advocacy action items for our region:
- Saturday, Feb 11th: 9-11AM. Defend Planned Parenthood Rally at the Rotary Fountain in Riverfront Park from 9-11AM. To register, go to http://plannedparenthoodevents.ngpvanhost.com/ngpvanforms/6088
- Sunday, Feb 12th. 2-4PM. World Relief Rally with Refugees. Stand with the vulnerable to education and mobilize. Gonzaga John J Hemmingson Center. 702 E Desmet Ave. One of hundreds of rallies being organized around the nation to show President Bannon exactly who and what we stand for.
- Saturday, Feb 11th. 3P. Now We Huddle Spokane: Northtown Mall. Huddles are being organized around the country to gather together in neighborhoods and begin to transform the energy experienced at Women’s Marches into local and national action. Huddles are designed to be positive, inclusive, and action-oriented local meetings where allies can gather together to define next steps as a movement and envision how to transform the energy of the Women’s Marches into local and national action.
- Mon, Feb 13th. FUSE Have a Heart for Healthcare Rally. CMR Office. Noon-1p. Click here for more information under Spokane. They also have MANY other local advocacy opportunities on this website.
- Mon, Feb 13th. PJALS. CMR Office. 1p-3p. Come join the PJALS delegation to the Washington Community Action Network McMorris Rodgers Action on Healthcare. They will be rallying outside her office and a small delegation will be going in to the office to be heard. If you are interested in being part of that smaller delegation, please let PJALS know and will they put you into contact with WA CAN.
FYI we have heard from CMR constituents that her office has been closed. Even so, we will be attending these two events in solidarity. If her office is closed on Monday we hope the media will be present to document how CMR fails to respond to all of her constituents.
- Feb 24 (6-9p) and Feb 25 (8a-5p). $50. Democracy School in Spokane put on by the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund. One of our members said this workshop was like “getting a Masters Degree in the Constitution in one workshop” and highly recommended attending. Check out the CELDF website. For more information on the workshop and to register Click here.ADVOCACY TOOLSCalls: You can make direct calls 24/7 to the US Gov Switchboard at 202-225-3121. Ask for your Members of Congress by name: Patty Murray, Maria Cantwell, Cathy McMorris Rodgers. You might speak with real interns who are overworked and running only on the fumes of Mountain Dew. Be brief! Your name, where you live, briefly what you are calling about (nominations; need to continue to scrutinize Russian involvement in our elections – and who knows what else; demand trump release his taxes; we could go on for pages…….). Thank Senators Murray and Cantwell for their solidarity in voting against cabinet nominees. CMR (DO NOT repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; DO NOT dismantle the EPA; DO NOT dismantle the Department of Education; PROTECT your constituents from dirty air and water; we could go on for pages……)Calls: EASY to use 5Calls.org!! They have all MoCs by state and congressional district.Faxes: EASY. Use FaxZero.com. You get five faxes per day FREE. Fill out form online and they fax it directly to the offices of your MoCs. AND you can certainly fax other state’s senators who are sitting members of committees. AND Paul Ryan. AND Mitch McConnell.CURRENT ACTION: I saw the Senate Committee on Homeland Security is still tallying votes on allowing Bannon on the National Security Council. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Call any time: 202-224-4751.And if you’re so inclined following Kellyanne Conway’s marketing of Ivanka Trump’s business: Call the Govt Ethics Line:202-482-9300. Extension 5.Postcards are now being mailed to President Bannon, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC. 20500. Print. Take a pic. Post to FB. Mail. Very satisfying. A national postcard mailing event is planned for March 15th. Pink. YOU’RE FIRED. Make it a family event!More to come soon on House and Senate bills to track. Also more stats on CMR and the strategies we must craft and use and share to turn Washington’s 5th Congressional District BLUE once again!Every day do something for yourself, your family, our community, our state, our nation. It does make a difference.Sylvia
Gary Collins asked me to post this: