Golie Jansen asked that this be posted from the local Indivisible Group:This morning I was listening to Tom Ashbrook and On Point (one of my favorite shows) talking with a former US ambassador to Russia, and one of the more chilling things said was that loss of democracy happens in small incremental ways. So we must be ever vigilant and continue to be active in the Resistance – even as we experience resistance fatigue – in whatever ways we can. Calls and Faxes (every day). Neighborhood Huddles (one noted below). Postcard Parties. Marches. Rallies (Planned Parenthood Saturday; World Relief Sunday). Visits to MoCs offices (FUSE and PJALS next Monday). Signs in your windows. Letters to the editor. Financial support. Attending workshops. Be informed! Act on you passion. Share with your friends and family and neighbors! The resistance continues to grow. We CANNOT afford to be silenced.And now stepping off the soapbox…..Some additional advocacy action items for our region:
- Saturday, Feb 11th: 9-11AM. Defend Planned Parenthood Rally at the Rotary Fountain in Riverfront Park from 9-11AM. To register, go to http://plannedparenthoodevents.ngpvanhost.com/ngpvanforms/6088
- Sunday, Feb 12th. 2-4PM. World Relief Rally with Refugees. Stand with the vulnerable to education and mobilize. Gonzaga John J Hemmingson Center. 702 E Desmet Ave. One of hundreds of rallies being organized around the nation to show President Bannon exactly who and what we stand for.
- Saturday, Feb 11th. 3P. Now We Huddle Spokane: Northtown Mall. Huddles are being organized around the country to gather together in neighborhoods and begin to transform the energy experienced at Women’s Marches into local and national action. Huddles are designed to be positive, inclusive, and action-oriented local meetings where allies can gather together to define next steps as a movement and envision how to transform the energy of the Women’s Marches into local and national action.
- Mon, Feb 13th. FUSE Have a Heart for Healthcare Rally. CMR Office. Noon-1p. Click here for more information under Spokane. They also have MANY other local advocacy opportunities on this website.
- Mon, Feb 13th. PJALS. CMR Office. 1p-3p. Come join the PJALS delegation to the Washington Community Action Network McMorris Rodgers Action on Healthcare. They will be rallying outside her office and a small delegation will be going in to the office to be heard. If you are interested in being part of that smaller delegation, please let PJALS know and will they put you into contact with WA CAN.
FYI we have heard from CMR constituents that her office has been closed. Even so, we will be attending these two events in solidarity. If her office is closed on Monday we hope the media will be present to document how CMR fails to respond to all of her constituents.
- Feb 24 (6-9p) and Feb 25 (8a-5p). $50. Democracy School in Spokane put on by the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund. One of our members said this workshop was like “getting a Masters Degree in the Constitution in one workshop” and highly recommended attending. Check out the CELDF website. For more information on the workshop and to register Click here.ADVOCACY TOOLSCalls: You can make direct calls 24/7 to the US Gov Switchboard at 202-225-3121. Ask for your Members of Congress by name: Patty Murray, Maria Cantwell, Cathy McMorris Rodgers. You might speak with real interns who are overworked and running only on the fumes of Mountain Dew. Be brief! Your name, where you live, briefly what you are calling about (nominations; need to continue to scrutinize Russian involvement in our elections – and who knows what else; demand trump release his taxes; we could go on for pages…….). Thank Senators Murray and Cantwell for their solidarity in voting against cabinet nominees. CMR (DO NOT repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; DO NOT dismantle the EPA; DO NOT dismantle the Department of Education; PROTECT your constituents from dirty air and water; we could go on for pages……)Calls: EASY to use 5Calls.org!! They have all MoCs by state and congressional district.Faxes: EASY. Use FaxZero.com. You get five faxes per day FREE. Fill out form online and they fax it directly to the offices of your MoCs. AND you can certainly fax other state’s senators who are sitting members of committees. AND Paul Ryan. AND Mitch McConnell.CURRENT ACTION: I saw the Senate Committee on Homeland Security is still tallying votes on allowing Bannon on the National Security Council. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Call any time: 202-224-4751.And if you’re so inclined following Kellyanne Conway’s marketing of Ivanka Trump’s business: Call the Govt Ethics Line:202-482-9300. Extension 5.Postcards are now being mailed to President Bannon, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC. 20500. Print. Take a pic. Post to FB. Mail. Very satisfying. A national postcard mailing event is planned for March 15th. Pink. YOU’RE FIRED. Make it a family event!More to come soon on House and Senate bills to track. Also more stats on CMR and the strategies we must craft and use and share to turn Washington’s 5th Congressional District BLUE once again!Every day do something for yourself, your family, our community, our state, our nation. It does make a difference.Sylvia